Monday, July 9, 2012

Bargain condition lenses "Olympus"

I just got a Kowa 16h anamorphic lens and I wanted to see how wide I could go on the taking lens. I needed lenses with a small front filter thread to fit onto the anamorphic clamp. Zeiss contax mount lenses would of been my first choice but since they are around $300 dollars for one and only being a f2.8 lens, I decided to look for some cheaper alternatives. 

I looked at a few different brands I already owned and most of the 28mm and 35mm were out of stock or they only had one or the other. So I looked at Olympus lenses, and found they had both the 28mm and 35mm in stock but they were what Keh calls "bargain condition". Bargain means 70-79% of original condition. They may show more than average wear for the age of the item, or may have dents, dings and/or brassing and finish loss. The glass may have marks, anomalies and/or blemishes that should not affect picture quality. So you basically get an ugly lens that performs.
At first I was hesitant to order a lens in this condition but for the savings I got 4 Olympus lenses for just over a hundred dollars, 28mm f2.8,35mm 2.8, 50mm 1.8 and a 70-200mm 3.8.

I received the lenses quickly and looked them over and to my surprise they pretty much looked like a lens they would offer in better condition. All the lenses had finish wear. None of the lenses had cleaning marks or dust. Only the 28mm had a small little ding near the front filter thread. Not bad for the money I spent. Also the 28 and 35mm were very small in size which makes them easy on packing and makes for a more stealth look if shooting in crowds.

I decided to do a quick test to see how the color and bokeh looked compared to a few of my other lenses. Zeiss 50mm 1.4, Pentax super takumar 50mm 1.4, Canon 50mm 1.8, Samyang 35mm 1.4 and to cover all three a 17-50mm 2.8 zoom. 
All shots were set to standard profile with everything set to 0. No grading was done so as not to effect the final image. Iso for all f8 shots were at 160 and iso for all shots 2.8 and faster set at 100, with these I used a lightcraft nd fader. 
At first look it seems all the lenses colors are pretty close, except the Pentax 50mm has the yellowish tint due to its coating which fits what I was shooting giving it a nice vintage look. 
Overall, I'm pleased with the Olympus lenses. They are small, have a decent f stop, bokeh looks pleasant and the 28mm and 35mm focus down to well under a foot for close up type macro shots.  If you're looking to get a lens to fill a certain focal range, or start a set of the same brand, don't hesitant to look at the bargain condition labeled lenses.
 


footage from the test 
http://youtu.be/F-MP3PnBB_k 





















1 comment: