Monday, June 25, 2012

ProAm dvc5o jib

After I got a slider and glidecam I knew I needed to add a jib to my gear. I needed something that allowed for fluid vertical shots, and nice sweeping shots.So I did my research around the web, and read reviews and  found ProAm. They sell most accessories for cameras, like rigs, monitors, and jibs. ProAm has jibs ranging from 4 feet up to 16 feet. I knew I needed something small, easy for transporting. So I went with the DVC50 a foot jib with a reach of 8 feet in height. Being this small it can easily be used inside as well.

The DVC50 is 4 feet in reach and made of lightweight 6061 aluminum. The jib has high density scratch resistant powder coating and has a tool less design. The DVC50 can hold up to 8lbs and features auto tilting, which keeps the camera level with the ground. The stand extends from 4 feet to 6 feet, giving you around 8 feet total height, and can hold up to 100 pounds.

When I ordered the DVC50, I also ordered the crane stand, which both arrived quickly. The DVC50 and stand are a high quality build and fit together perfectly. Both come with a padded bag and the extra protection is nice. The stand comes in 2 pieces, the legs and the metal pole that raises the overall height. The jib also comes in 2 pieces, the bar and the part that attaches it to the stand. Setting up the jib takes just a minute tops without any tools. Just slide the jib down on the stand and tighten it up. Attaching your camera is done by a 1/4x20 wing nut. I used weights from a local sporting goods store. Finding the counter balance is easy, just add weight until the jib remains level.

The auto tilting feature is a very nice touch the DVC50 offers. The jib stays levels when moving  up or down. Movement is nice and fluid both horizontally and vertically. As can be expected, it does take a little bit of practice to get smooth shots.

Overall, I'm really happy with the ProAm DVC50 jib. The build is nice and movement is fluid, packs up small and can be used indoors. The best thing about the jib is the price versus build. I would recommend the DVC50 to everyone.

bag for the jib and stand

stand

stand
jib connected to stand
1/4x20 wing nut for camera
lowest point
camera attached
counter weights
highest reach
locking pin
SmallHd dp4 for framing
SmallHd dp4
 Test footage of the dvc50

 http://youtu.be/DeXjErdqL4Y

http://youtu.be/1hp5nYnZisk


1 comment:

  1. Very informative review. Thanks for another great blog. Nice jib!

    ReplyDelete