Sunday, June 10, 2012

Budget friendly tripod

After reviewing the Sachtler Ace tripod I got a few comments about it doesn't fit into everyone's budget. I have a good budget tripod that I was using until I got the Ace.
The Velbon dv7000 with ph368 head. I got this tripod about a year ago after reading reviews on the smooth movements. It seemed like a good tripod that wouldn't break the bank so to speak.
I ordered online and got it in a few days.
It weighs 7.51 pounds. It has a 2 way fluid head geared center column, braced 3 section aluminum alloy legs. 29mm upper leg sections with built in mid level spreader. The dv7000 will carry a load up to 9.92 pounds with a minimum height of 22.44 inches.
and a max height of 63.78 inches


 The dv7000 folds down to 27.56 inches. It does have 2 knobs to increase or decrease tilt and pan tensions.
and a 4 position handle that can be interchangeable from front to rear and from left handed to right.

That weekend I had a shoot so I decided to take it with me to try out. The build is good and sturdy. I had a 15mm rail with a follow focus and a monitor. Most of the shots were just locked down but the few shots that had panning or tilts the movements were smooth, not super smooth but good and useable. I didn't notice much difference from the pan and tilt tension adjuster, it's very small difference between the settings.
Overall I would recommend the Velbon dv7000 as a budget friendly tripod. Price for the dv7000 with ph368head is $189 dollars. If you're just looking to get the head, because you already have sticks, it will be just 40 dollars. I use the ph368 on my sliders. If you're looking for something a little cheaper Velbon has the videomate 607 tripod with ph368 head for only 80 dollars. I haven't used this model personally but it is another option.


1 comment: