Thursday, May 31, 2012

Downtown Richmond in anamorphic

All my projects that I'll be DPing are all in preproduction at the moment, and I love to shoot. I wanted to go explore downtown Richmond for the afternoon. So I flashed my GH2 with Driftwood's sedna aq1 patch grabbed two lenses, helios 58mm and sankor 16c, and a field monitor  the Smallhd dp4.

 
I knew I wanted to stay low key for the day since there was a festival downtown and didn't want to carry around my sachtler ace avoiding all the people walking around so I grabbed a small hand held rig to shoot. This was both a good idea and bad idea at the same time. The good part was that I stayed pretty low key walking around filming even with the dp4 attached. The bad part was I never thought of this happening while shooting hand held with the anamorphic lens combo. I've shot plenty of times hand held with my cropped canons with this lens combo but never with the gh2. The gh2 having just that little extra crop really showed after I downloaded the footage. There were clips with micro jitters. Thinking I would have to go back out the next weekend, I asked a few of my film friends if they knew a software to get rid of some of the little shakes since Vegas pro 11 stabilizer did nothing for it :(  thebilly on twitter told me Adobe After Effects could do it and he even said he do it for me. I got the clip back quick from him and was pleased After Effects and Billy saved it. I learned a good lesson on this shoot even though it was for fun and not a gig, use a tripod if shooting with a lens combo like that.

Over the two days of filming  I had such a good time shooting downtown, and testing some of my gear. I plan on heading back downtown to shoot some of the stuff I missed the last time, and getting out more to other places to shoot that i'm not familiar with. I'm really impressed with the gh2 using the sedna patch. The colors really came out nice and so easy to grade.  I just added a small adjustment to the curves,slight color grading and added alittle contrast. 

Footage from downtown :)
http://youtu.be/I4ZlAIbuREA

Gear used
Panasonic gh2 with driftwood's sedna patch
helios 58mm
sankor 16c
Lightcraft workshop fader nd
Smallhd dp4

1 comment: