Thursday, May 17, 2012

How to build a cheap docking station to balance a stabilizer

If you're just getting into using a stabilizer, one of the first things you'll notice is the frustration you'll get from trying to learn how to balance one. When I first got my glidecam hd2000, I tried everything to get perfect balance. i would get close but never fully get it. One of the problems was I would use the floor and make adjustments then pick it up to check and that got me nowhere quick.So I looked around and found a few companies made docking stations that used a tripod or light stand. You put the stabilizer on the post and make your adjustments from there.
So this got me thinking, how i could make a docking station for cheaper and spend the money I saved on ther gear?

This how to is meant for dslrs This is what I came up with.
If you use this method to build one use at your own risk. Not responsible if you make one and anything happens to your gear. this is meant to help balance the stabilizer not dock it between shots and leave it.

One day at work I saw some scrap 2x8's I took one and cut it in half, nailed the two halves together for extra base weight. Went to a supply house and got a 1/2 inch pvc pipe, same size wooden dowel, a female screw in pvc connector and a threaded male pvc connector all the same size. I drilled out a hole in the center of the 2x8 slightly bigger then the pvc connector filled it with some expoxy glue and let that set over night. glued the threaded connector onto the pvc pipe, then screwed the pvc pipe onto the base board.

The next thing i got was a giottos mh621 qr system to had to the glidecam cause it has two bubble levels and this help to know when its level and not guess.
This set up works great for the few bucks it took to make it.

If your worried about the weight of the unit use the wooden dowel instead of the pvc pipe. I used the pvc pipe so i can save room when going out I just unscrew the pvc pipe from the baseboard and pack it in the car. The wooden dowel works too but it will be fixed to the baseboard once glued in place, and you wont be able to remove it.

Neither of these will win points on fancy looking gear, it works and i can balance the setup in a few minutes.

I've never had any issues with with the balancing station. The pvc one has held up for over a year now. The pipe slightly bends forward when the stabilizer is on it but it hasn't effect getting balance. I use the bubble levels on the quick release. and get nice vertical and horizontal  balance

 Glidecam footage after balancing it on the docking station
http://youtu.be/c_wLsoG9Jwo



1 comment: