Monday, May 28, 2012

Sachtler Ace tripod review

I've owned a few basic tripods but never took the big step on upgrading to a more professional tripod, due to the fact that I have a few different shoulder rigs. I figured after spending the money on those I wouldn't really use or need a tripod. After using my other tripods and seeing the results, I noticed when I panned or tilted the shots weren't all that smooth and I was getting better results with my rigs. But the fatigue of using a rig all day during a shoot made me decide to look into getting a good tripod.
After researching and reading reviews, I came across the Sachtler Ace tripod, and decided it was just what I was looking for. The Ace has a glass fiber reinforced composite head weighing just 3.7 lbs and with its aluminum legs 10.1lbs total. It supports up to 8.8lbs The tripod mounts the head via a 75mm bowl. The Ace uses a new patented sa-drag system. It has 3 horizontal and 3 vertical steps plus 0 and lets you choose a drag setting with a lot of resistance or no resistance for your choice of shooting needs, with a tilt range of +90 degrees/-75 degrees.
There are two different models to choose from. I went with the floor spreader version. With a minimum height of 22.4 inches
and a max height of 68.1 inches
Also the Ace has 5 steps of counter balance to help dial in your camera  no matter what the weight is as long as it's in the max 8.8lbs limit.
black knob is the counter balance

When I got it I was very pleased with the build quality. This tripod will last many new camera setups. Ace packs up nice and small for easy storage and travel, folding down to 34.3 inches


After putting on a smaller rig of mine with a Smallhd monitor and mic, I got the balance perfect using the counter balancing system. Any movement stays to where you pan or tilt. One of the nice features found on the Ace I really like is the sa-drag system.

sa-drag system
sa-drag system

I dial both the vertical and horizontal to suit my needs with a little resistance. The long quick release is another really nice feature. No matter if using just a camera or a rail with 15mm rods to support a follow focus, matte box, the plate is big enough with 4.1 inches of range to get everything nice and secure and helps dial in the balance.

The panning bar is large with a rubber grip with a nice feel to it.

I also liked the handle at the bottom of the head. You can loosen it to move the head around to get it level no matter how the legs are set up.

With a price tag of $535, I feel it is a good price for the build and features it offers. It might seem pricey but compared to other tripods on the market and the features they offer in the same category I'm glad I put up a little more money to get the Ace.
I'm very pleased with the Ace tripod. Its quick to unpack and pack and takes up little space while going to a shoot. Panning is much more predictable and it's nice and fluid. The legs are sturdy and overall feel of the tripod is solid. I find myself using it more and more on shoots. Its nice to put my rig on the Ace and lock down a shot and not have to worry about any little movement I might have gotten from one of the other tripods I own.
In my opinion, the Ace is an great all around tripod, and completely changed how I feel about tripods. I'm glad I decided to put up the extra money on something that will make shooting easier. After using the Ace for a for months I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a tripod.


http://www.sachtler.com

1 comment: