Monday, May 28, 2012

My intial thoughts on a 2560x1440 monitor

I was looking for a new monitor for editing and color grading. I was using a small 20 inch 1600x900 monitor at first, and knew I needed something better with more screen and better resolution.
I looked at all the typical online sites and then I checked ebay. I type in 2560x1440 monitor cause I wanted to see if by chance I could score a higher resolution monitor for cheap. To my surprise the search came up with 44 different Korean brands all selling the same monitor, just renamed. The Yamakasi catleap q270se, Achieva Shimian qh270 lite,3 View Pcbank pb2700, and the Crossover 27q.
After doing some more research I found out these monitors actually use the same screens that Apple Cinema monitors use. The only thing is these screens are what is considered, in grades as an A- or A. That just means they may have some little defect, most of the time its just dead pixels. I found one with guaranteed no dead pixels, so I ordered one to try out. At just 317 dollars it wouldn't be too bad. If anything I would take a little loss and resale it. I ordered the 3View PC BANK pb2700 on a Monday and got it Friday from Korea. I had to go to the store and get a different plug to make it work with US power. The adapter was 15 dollars.

I got home and plug it in and I was pleased with it out of the box, no dead pixels.  I used it on a edit I just started and the extra screen really helped and the colors really looked good. The screen is a s-ips so looking from different angles the colors didn't shift. I've looked and used the cinema screen from Apple and it looked pretty good compared to it. The pb2700 has a glossy screen so I turned down the brightness and I haven't noticed any eye strain.
Only bad things i can think of is the stand isn't the best. Its's a little wobbly. If you leave it on your desk and don't move it around it will be fine. If you're concerned 30 or 40 dollars can get a really nice stand. The other kinda bad is this monitor only allows a dual link dvi plug. So check your graphics card to see if it will allow this input.
I plan on getting this monitor color calibrated and I'll write a new post telling the results. The two weeks i've had this monitor I have to say I'm happy with it, I got what was a 1000 dollar monitor just renamed for 330 dollars.

 Specs
Screen size 27 inches
Resolution 2560x1440
Contrast ratio 1000-1
Brightness 350cd/m2
Response time 6ms
Video input dvi
s-ips led panel

1 comment: